Each year Voices of Hope for Aphasia members are invited to join our Founders, Mike & Kathy Caputo on our Annual Cruise. The cruise offers our members an opportunity to live, laugh, and play in a supported environment with friends and family living with aphasia.
This year in 2017 our members enjoyed a 7 night cruise on the Princess Regal. The group of 20 members set sail out of Ft Lauderdale with stops in the Dominican Republic, St Thomas, and St. Kitts. Group members met daily to share in the good times, go on excursions, and make memories that last a lifetime.
A few amazing experiences our VOHA Cruise 2017 participants experienced together include:
- Watching Super Bowl LI together at the sports bar and cheering on our favorite team
- Dancing the night away
- Dining together each night while comfortably seated at a large round table making conversations easy
- Group gathering for an art project with John Dingman, a fellow stroke survivor with a passion for art. Learn more about John’s story here.
- Cocktails at the champagne and martini bars
- A safari bus excursion to visit a local children’s school in the Dominican Republic
- Fun and great laughs while playing the slot machines in the casino.
This year, marks 8 years post stroke for Mike and he has faced many physical challenges since suffering his stroke. Walking is very difficult for Mike. He underwent surgery last summer to enable him to walk flat footed without pain. This year on the 2017 VOHA Annual Cruise, Mike set a goal “to walk into and enjoy the ocean.” We are happy to report that this year, Mike reached his goal and enjoyed the beautiful waters of St. Thomas!
At Voices of Hope for Aphasia, we are here to help one another get back to living life to the fullest. Join us next year on our 2018 VOHA Annual Cruise. Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest information about our upcoming events benefitting people and families living with aphasia.