Family & Friends of AphasiaSupport and Social Connections for all those affected
We know it’s not just the person with aphasia who needs support – families need us too!
The success of a person with aphasia depends on social support and social connections, so it is very important to provide information, resources, social opportunities, and help to family members and others on whom the person wtih aphasia depends.
Is your family member in the hospital or rehab now or recently diagnosed with aphasia or Primary Progressive Aphasia? Are you feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do?
Whether you have been touched by aphasia for a long time or new to aphasia, Voices of Hope for Aphasia provides support and education for family and friends.
Our Family & Friends of Aphasia program offers social, supportive, and informative opportunities:
- First Friday Lunches: fun, informal gatherings of current, past, and future members of Voices of Hope for Aphasia. A great way for families and members to meet outside of the planned activities of the daily programming. Lunch locations change each month – experience new food, new restaurants, and new locations. Register for our weekly email so you are notified for the next lunch! (First Friday Lunches are planned and organized by our founding members, but lunch costs are each individuals responsibility.)
- Monthly Support Groups: a gathering for family members, friends, caregivers, and anyone who loves a person with aphasia regardless of how long ago the diagnosis occurred. Come with your questions, your frustrations, your celebrations, your struggles, and your triumphs. This group provides support at any stage. Family Support Groups meet on the Second Friday of the month via Zoom. Register for our weekly email so you are notified of our next support group meeting.
- Hot Topic Discussions and Lunch & Learns: Do you need help navigating Medicare or disability insurance? Do you want help coping with your new role and the changes in your relationship? Do you need help for long-term health planning and estate planning? Invited guests and expert speakers will be available to help answer your questions during these sessions. Hot Topics meetings are scheduled throughout the year. Register for our weekly email so you are notified of our next Hot Topic (for some meetings, lunch is provided also!)
Past HOT TOPIC Speakers include:
- Lisa Keith from Sunways Senior Living Concierge and Angel Dougherty from Avail Home Care.
- Marcey Wright, Physical Therapist
- Jen Ferriera, Speech-Language Pathologist
- Bob Sharbaugh, Elder Law Attorney
- Glenn, Medicare Expert from SHINE
- Dr. Dae Sheridan, licensed Psychotherapist
- and more!
Do you have a pressing HOT TOPIC? Let us know and we will try to schedule an expert!
Voices of Hope for Aphasia is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Donations are appreciated and go directly to support programs like these that are offered free of charge (with the exception of First Friday lunches – each individual is responsible for their lunch.)